Pirandai has been used as a medicinal plant since antiquity. Pirandai is considered as a versatile medicinal plant in both Ayurvedic and modern drug development areas for its valuable medicinal uses. It is a very rich source of some minerals, which are necessary for proper functioning of human body. Pirandai / Cissus quadrangularis has been used in various Ayurvedic classical medicines to heal broken bones and injured ligaments and tendons. In siddha medicine it is considered a tonic and analgesic.
- Bone Fracture Healing: Pirandai / Cissus quadrangularis Pirandai has rich content of calcium, phosphorous and phytoestrogenic steroids, which are found to have specific effect on bone fracture healing. The anabolic steroidal principles from Cissus quadrangularis showed a marked influence in the rate of fracture healing by influencing early regeneration of all connective tissues involved in the healing and quicker mineralization of callus.
- Osteoporosis, a silent epidemic, has become a major health hazard in the recent years afflicting over 2000 million people worldwide. It is a chronic, progressive condition associated with micro-architectural deterioration of bone tissue that results in low bone mass. Pirandai significantly inhibits antianabolic effects and exerts some beneficial effects on recovery of bone mineral density in post menopausal osteoporosis.
- Anti-inflammatory: Pirandai posses anti-inflammatory activity comparable to aspirin or ibuprofen
- Gastroprotective Activity:
Pirandai is well known for its use in the treatment of gastric disorders in traditional medicine, owing to its rich source of carotenoids, triterpenoids and ascorbic acid, and has received considerable attention regarding its role in human nutrition. A number of studies have analysed and revealed the effect against gastric toxicity and the gastroprotective effect of Pirandai along with its mechanism underlying the therapeutic action against the gastric mucosal damage induced by aspirin.
- Gastric Ulcer: Pirndai is commonly mentioned in Ayurveda for treatment of gastric ulcers. The ulcer-protective effect of a methanolic extract of Cissus quadrangularis was comparable to that of the reference drug sucralfate. Pirandai showed significant anti ulcer activity by decreasing gastric secretions and by enhancing glycoprotein levels and produced healing effect on aspirin induced gastric mucosal damage in rats.
- Weight Loss and Obesity: Pirandai is found to be effective in the management of weight loss and metabolic syndrome, particularly for central obesity.
- Bowel Infection: Dried and powdered Leaves and young shoots are powerful alternatives in bowel infections connected with indigestion
Pirandai is said to posses antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant, anthelmintic, antihemorrhoidal and analgesic activities also used for curing the weakness due to prolonged illness. Needless to say that versatile uses and various therapeutic activities has made Pirandai a valuable medicinal Herb. Worth Trying !
Legal Disclaimer: All the products are for personal use and not for resale.The product description has not been evaluated by the food & drug administration(FDA). The product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any diseases. Information on this website is not an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider. Please consult your physician, or health care provider before taking any home remedies. Read more about our disclaimer https://www.yogisherbs.com/medical-disclaimer/